Saturday 13 April 2013

If I Were Twenty Years Younger!

If I Were Twenty Years Younger!

Wait a minute!   I am twenty years younger - than I’ll be in twenty years!  And what was I doing twenty years ago that I can’t do today?  At 44 years of age, I was the mother of three beautiful, active teenagers, was into extreme gardening (about 3 acres worth!), was helping to raise and sell chickens and turkeys, had an active social life which included being part of an amateur theatre company with a group of wonderful friends; was involved in church activities, and danced with my husband at many weddings and parties.  I was even able to work in some artistic endeavors in between the above.  It was a hectic life, but ultimately, very rewarding – Ok, I’m losing my own argument here. 
Fast forward to today:  I am now walking and going to exercise classes to replace the gardening lifestyle, so that I can continue the dance, and I have moved on to planting seeds of a different sort – poetry and artwork that I hope will inspire hope and warm smiles for this world so much in need of those ‘plants’.
I have definitely slowed my pace, but I am still learning new steps:
One of my New Year’s resolutions was to begin playing my guitar again – It was my dad’s guitar, and every time I pick it up, it smiles back at me, adorned with its colourful stickers - shamrocks and musical notes.  I find myself inviting Dad to jump in and to use my fingers to have one more go at it.  At this point, I wonder if he is the one with the time advantage – living past the veil where time has a completely different role, enabling him to contribute to the pattern of life in unknown and amazing ways.
I figure, in another twenty years or so, I will be able to play well enough to join him in one more duet, and I’ll wonder why I ever worried so much about ageing.  Time is a wondrous journey, and our steps in time should leave sparkling gems for others to enjoy, twenty years down the road and beyond.  Onwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment