Saturday 20 April 2013

Walk With Me - Fly For Me!

Walk With Me - Fly For Me!

As I walked, or should I say flew, down Sophia Street towards the river yesterday afternoon, the sun was shining brilliantly, and the wind was flexing its powerful muscles as it literally pushed and pulled me along.  A seagull, also heading towards that magnetic river, was flying along at a standstill, just above my head.  Not to be outdone, I lifted my arms and leaned into the wind, letting it fill the sleeves of my red windbreaker – an interesting name for the little red jacket that I was inviting that wind into!  I could hear my seagull pal’s high-pitched  ‘Cree edie’ cheering me on!

As I continued my walk, up on my tiptoes, arms outstretched, I felt exhilarated. The little child in me jumped up and cried out once more:  ‘Red Rover, Red Rover, I call Edie over!’ A few of the neighbours that I passed laughed and waved me on - encouragingly?  That only added to my fun; it was amazing what uplifting (literally) ripples that gusty warm wind was making as I tried to break through its arms!

Then, thoughts of my mom, laying in the Care Centre came into my heart and mind – I wished that I could invite her to come along with me on one more walk; let her feel those wonderful healing gusts of fresh air.  Mom is traveling towards her own magnetic river but her journey is a very different one: Her arms cannot lift to catch soft breezes; she is walking that difficult path that we all must eventually take, and she is doing it with graceful submission to powerful headwinds that are pinning her down.

As I let the wind continue to fill my hair, my lungs, and my jacket, I felt all of my tensions and sad thoughts just up and take flight.  At some point, a mighty wind will fill Mom’s being and lift her towards a landscape of light, with its own sparkling river, and she will answer the voice of the beautiful little child within her, who is calling out: Red Rover, Red Rover, I call Dolores over!

In the meantime, I will continue my own journey; hopefully with some inherited grace, and with a few pointers from Jonathan Livingston Seagull!     

No comments:

Post a Comment