Friday 20 June 2014

Finding Holy Ground


Finding Holy Ground

 I walked by the Odd Fellows Hall on Henry street yesterday, and I found myself thinking: ‘I wonder where the Even Fellows get together, and whether they’d be at odds with the Odd Fellows or whether they’d all actually be striving for the same things?’

Here in Prescott, there are so many beautiful buildings that house faith and community groups, and I watch sincere people going in and out – their purpose being to find God and to get some direction and support amidst all of the turmoil that life throws at us; and to share with others the joy that fills us when happy and exciting things come into our lives.  Each of these institutions is striving to contribute hope and help to the people that congregate there - and to reach out to help the broader community in need.

Further along on my walk, I looked around and there was my creative muse reaching for my arm.  She had been paying attention to the view as well, and as I welcomed her to speak up, the following was her take – or give, on my thoughts:

 
I’ve paused on a roadside
            In the absence of sound,
            And felt God’s presence,
            Perfect, profound;
            In that moment of peace,
            Respect, Holy ground.           
            Whether we worship
            ‘Neath steeple or dome,
            A star-studded sky,
            Or a space all our own,
            Love is the mortar
            That builds up God’s home.

On life’s walk, we take baby steps toward a Father who is absolutely in love with us: He puts out His arms and beckons us to take our first steps, then another and another as he encourages us, picks us up when we falter, and praises our efforts, until at the end of our journey, we reach holy ground  – We let go and jump into His embrace.
 
“This is what God asks of you:  To act justly, to love tenderly, and to walk humbly with your God.”  Micah 6:8

No comments:

Post a Comment